Thursday 10 September 2015

Emily Blunt

Emily Blunt is a popular English-American actress who has appeared in films such as The Devil Wears Prada, The Adjustment Bureau, Looper, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, and Into The Woods, for which she has received critical acclaim and numerous award nominations. In 2011 Blunt starred in the comedy-drama Your Sister's Sister, which depicted interesting relationships and interactions between a woman in love with her best friend, her dead boyfriend's brother (the best friend), and her lesbian sister. 2014 saw Blunt star alongside Tom Cruise in the science fiction action blockbuster Edge of Tomorrow. Cast as a Special Forces warrior, Blunt has to help Cruise, who is stuck in a time loop, improve his fighting skills to defeat an army of extraterrestrial invaders. We watched Edge of Tomorrow followed by Your Sister's Sister in a recent MAP club meeting.

Lette hosted the session, employing the thermomix to produce a delicious dinner of fish and vegetables. We drank cheap white wine and ate pavlova (also from the thermomix) with dark chocolate (Lindt was on special that week) for dessert. Our thoughts on the films are below along with a photo of the Emily Blunt completion patch!

       

Billy on Edge of Tomorrow: Action films generally aren't my forte and I very much dislike Tom Cruise (a Tom Cruise MAP club meeting is mission impossible if you ask me). Yet, I quite enjoyed this film. Considering the film does repeat scenes a lot (it's just the plot - unavoidable really), it was cleverly put together so as not to irritate. We haven't really watched any true action or sci-fi films in MAP club yet so I welcomed the change - give my heart strings a rest, Lette! Blunt's character is fierce and she looks smoking hot!

Lette on Edge of Tomorrow: Emily Blunt is possibly my favourite actress so Billy put me in charge of choosing the flicks for this completion patch. I thought we'd give Edge of tomorrow a whirl as it's one of hers that I hadn't seen before and we haven't featured much of the action genre. Surprisingly entertaining. Emily's character is a bit of a powerhouse. This movie is an action version of Groundhog Day, that's my verdict.

Billy on Your Sister's Sister: People are sad sometimes. People get drunk and do stupid things sometimes. People are selfish and hurt each other sometimes. But people care for each other sometimes too. People forgive sometimes. People love sometimes. That's kind of what I got from this film. But while it may be based on quite simple human foundations, it's an enjoyable and quirky little story with great potential to make you both laugh and cry.

Lette on Your Sister's Sister: I could watch this movie over and over. It makes me wish Emily Blunt was my sister and very glad that Rosemarie DeWitt isn't. She's hard work, but in a great way. It's a very simple film in the way that it is set on a remote island and revolves around just three characters but it also manages to be very complicated. Love triangles, sibling rivalry and heartbreak are all represented beautifully. I love this film. 


The Emily Blunt completion patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment